The historic center of Lefkada town is immediately pleasing to the eye, but its real beauty lies in details: Brightly painted corrugated tin facades, stone houses with wooden roofs and impressive mansions. Timber work, loggias and garrets. The town now inhabited by 8,000 people, was first built by the Venetians in the 17th century.
From that period however, only the basic layout has survived, which facilitates the flow of air through its narrow streets. The earthquake in 1825 razed the town, which was rebuilt in accordance with British anti-seismic technology, including special structural techniques for greater support and the extensive use of corrugated tin, on account of its light weight.
While it may be considered a cheap material, the way it has been used in Lefkada is impressive. Moreover, it is well suited to the aesthetic interventions of the townspeople: bougainvillea on wooden trellises, basil in attractively painted tin cans, small plant pots on ledges, tastefully colored grilles, painted details on doors and tiny lamps that provide a lovely atmospheric touch.